I am always on the hunt for something quick to make on those busy days where you have to work late or your just way to tired to actually make something fancy. Bagel bites are something that I have eaten since I was a kid. I would always see the bagel bites commercial on tv when I got home from school so my brother and I were so excited to eat them as a snack when my mom finally caved and bought a box from the frozen section at the grocery store. Since then I have upgraded and now make my own quick homemade version of the frozen treat. It’s not as fast as opening the freezer and placing the frozen treat on a baking tray in the oven, but it’s still quick and equally as delicious. All you need are english muffins, my favorite are from Trader Joe’s, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and all of your favorite toppings.
- English muffins
- Mozzarella cheese
- Tomato sauce (any brand will do)
- Black olives
- Garlic salt
- Red chili flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each english muffin in half (one muffin makes two bagel bites).
- Before I put the sauce on each half of muffin, I like to sprinkle so either garlic powder or garlic salt onto each muffin for some add flavor.
- Spread about a spoonful of sauce onto each muffin half.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Now the fun part, toppings!! You can add whatever toppings you like. I prefer olives, a little bit on onions, and sometimes I will add pieces of pepperoni or pancetta.
- Once you add your desired toppings place in the oven for 10 mins or until all the cheese as melted.
I hope that you enjoy my quick treat for those days that you just need something simple!
I find this salad to be so delicious and very satisfying. The garbanzo beans make the salad very filling, and the feta cheese coats everything to make a delicious dressing that combines everything together to make this Greek salad a perfect healthy treat!
Chickpea, Feta and Parsley Salad
Serves about 4-5 as a side dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- a spoonful of red chili flakes
- 1 (14oz) of garbanzo beans
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Juice of one lemon
- 2oz (about a handful) of feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the red onion till lightly golden. Add garlic and chili and cook till the garlic is fragrant, I like my food a little spicier so I added a little more. Set aside to cool so it doesn’t melt the feta when you mix it in.
Drain the chickpeas, rinse and place in the salad bowl. Add crumbled feta, spring onion, parsley and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Add the cooled onion and garlic mixture and remaining oil and mix well.
Store in the fridge for a few hours before serving to let the salad marinate.
I hope that you find this version of a Greek salad as delicous as I do!!!
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries and a glass of wine
Fancy strawberries just scream a delicious desert . That’s what you get when you dip the berries in white chocolate and in dark chocolate. There is something about strawberries dipped in chocolate that says fancy. At least that’s what I think whenever I see them. You might want to test the theory. But if you’re going to give someone special a box of chocolate dipped berries, you might want to make some for yourself as well! It’s simple and can be made in advance. Also, it won’t weigh you down if you still have to make a special and romantic dinner, and goes great with a bottle of wine, or even better champagne!
WHITE AND DARK CHOCOLATE DIPPED STRAWBERRIES
- white chocolate
- dark chocolate
- Rinse your strawberries and lay them on a paper towel to dry. Line a dish or baking tray with wax paper (used to prevent the chocolate from sticking to your tray).
- Melt your white chocolate: pour your chocolate in a pot and heat on med-high, stir until all your chocolate is melted and immediately remove from heat to prevent your chocolate from burning.
- Make sure your strawberries are dry (otherwise it will difficult for the chocolate to stick) and dip into your chocolate
- Lay on the wax paper to dry
- Repeat steps 2-3 for the Dark chocolate
- Once all your strawberries are dipped place in the fridge for at least one hour before serving
Tip: if you have a hard time melting your chocolate you might want to try to melt it by using a double boiler. I find that this is the easier way to prevent your chocolate from burning.
I love wine so I decided to try a new one! This wine is an Italian Blend, it tastes more like a Merlot than a Cab, but without tasting very dry. Overall I liked it! I’m not an official wine taster, I just now started to try different types of wines, other than my favorite Menage a Trois. So I hope that this is a little helpful, but I suggest you try it for yourself. I don’t drink very often but when I do I prefer Cabernet, so I will let you know when I try a different one.